Wednesday, April 16, 2014

I Ate the Chocolate

Heavenly

It's that time of month where I crave nachos and chocolate (perhaps even simultaneously...mmm, that sweet/salty combo), and it also happens to be that time of year when all kinds of delicious chocolates come wrapped in pastel colors with an assortment of buttery, sugary fillings on the inside.

Well, this post isn't about those particular candies, because I didn't buy any Easter chocolates this year (go  me!).

However, my husband decided to make homemade almond-butter filled chocolate eggs, and this was my downfall.  He made a lot of them, because he decided to sell them at work as a fundraiser.  But before they made it out the door and onto the table at work, quite a few of them made it into my stomach.

Eating the eggs wasn't the real problem though--he didn't mind that I had a couple.  It was eating the ingredients before they were even made that was a problem!  

I've told my husband in the past that if sweet, chocolatey things go uneaten for 24 hours and are still around, he's lost his chance to eat them before I do.  But I tried really hard not to eat the bars of semi-sweet baker's chocolate sitting out on the counter for 2 days.  I begged and pleaded to have just one square, and even managed to abstain for a full day, but then, one morning, thought, "OK, just one square...there will still be enough."

Surprise, one square turned into two...and then the whole bar.  I confessed over the phone.

"You will have a replacement bar of chocolate on the counter by the time I get home from work," said my husband.

"Done!" I said.  And I went to Target to get a new bar of chocolate (they didn't have the same brand, so it was even more painfully obvious that I'd eaten the whole bar when I placed the new one on the counter.)

Later that night my husband pulled me over his lap to spank me for eating the chocolate.  It was slightly playful, because he knows how hard it is for me to refrain from eating sweets when they're in the house (we usually don't keep them around).  But he was actually a bit disappointed.

Seriously, though?  He leaves three bars of chocolate sitting out on a counter around a PMSing woman and is disappointed when she eats one?  I understand an HoH testing his wife, but, come on, this was an obvious set-up for failure!

Happy Easter everyone--may your day be filled with un-forbidden chocolates and lots of fun with family and friends!

12 comments:

  1. A fellow chocaholic... it has cost me many a spanking, but he will keep buying me things and my resistance level is non existent and.... PMS is a killer isn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, which is why I generally don't keep any sweet things in the house--it seems to be all or nothing for me. And thankfully, my husband understands and is also on board with eating healthy, but he likes to make things for special occasions. He should learn to make them quickly if he wants the ingredients to be there by the time he chooses to make them!

      Delete
  2. I just don't understand why he didn't buy an extra bar just in case!
    I really have been known to be so desperate for chocolate while PMSing that I have taken the lid off the jar of cocoa and just sat inhaling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! That sounds like torture! And, this'll really make you roll your eyes: I was the one that purchased the ingredients, and my thinking was along the lines of "If I buy just enough for the eggs, then I won't be able to eat one." I really don't know myself very well.

      Delete
    2. In my defense, though, I also thought he was going to be making them sooner. Had I known they were going to sit on the counter for days...well, I'd like to think I'd have had a little more foresight, haha.

      Delete
  3. The best way to avoid sweets is definitely not to have them in the house - I am not sure I would have lasted two days in that state without eating them... :-) I am not buying or making sweets for the kids for Easter until the very last minute or I am afraid I will indulge far too much - I am all or nothing, too... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. Growing up, my mom would always buy Easter candy a couple weeks ahead of time, open it early and eat it, then have to buy more the day before Easter, haha! It's hereditary, I guess.

      Delete
  4. Your husband makes homemade truffles! That sounds so delicious! Yes, I'd have eaten it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does! We both LOVE to bake and cook. I cook different meals from scratch every night and we both love to make homemade breads, tortillas, baked goods, and nut butters. It's a wonder we remain at a healthy weight.

      Delete
  5. Yummy, that sounds so delicious. I could go for the combo with crisps and chocolate. Well, actually anything with chocolate. You know that you made probably everybody around very hungry with this, don’t you? :) I have found a little chocolate by now and munch it while I type and can feel that my bottom grows from it. But I completely agree that it is not really fair to put chocolate within reach when you PMS and especially when you have a history with being chocolate challenged. Not nice. Nevertheless, I hope you get some big, lovely chocolate eggs for Easter, too. Happy Easter

    hugs

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sorry to make all your mouths water with chocolate cravings. I'm sure I will have plenty of chocolate to choose from on Easter. A church where I sing is having a big potluck-style Easter brunch! I will try not to go overboard.

      Delete
  6. Hope you had a very happy easter! Oh and almond butter filled eggs sound SO yummy!

    ReplyDelete